Frequently Asked Questions

High Risk Licenses 

Q.Is my High Risk Licence Still Legal?

This is a current 5 year renewable High Risk Work Licence

As of 30th June 2014 this style of licence is NO LONGER LEGAL. Call Workplace Health and Safety Qld on 1300 655 986  to ascertain if anything can be done to transition your Licence through to a HRW Licence.

Call us if you need to discuss arrangements for re-assessment.

Q.Can I still operate a High Risk Machine on my old Paper Licence?


Any paper licence holders who need to operate a forklift or other high risk machines in the workplace will need to undertake further training to bring them up to current Australian standards plus knowledge of Legislation and Regulations. They will need to undertake re-assessment and make a fresh application for a Licence.

Q. Is my Overseas High Risk Licence valid for work in Australia?

No, you need to “cross your licence over” to an Australian Licence, you can contact Workplace Health and Safety Queensland 1300 655 986 to see if you qualify for an automatic transfer. However, in our experience Licences that can be swapped straight over are in the minority. Most overseas High Risk Licence holders have to undertake some gap training and re-certification.  If your Licence is a current and you have recent experience, you may qualify for a 1 day RPL gap training course.  If your Licence is over 5 -6 years old and it is a while since you have used a machine, you will need to undertake and obtain a new licence.

Q. Is my High Risk licence a national licence?

It is a Qld issued licence recognised nationally – renewable every 5 years.

Q. What do I need to drive a High Risk Machine on the road?

When driving a high risk machine on the road, the machine needs to be either road registered or a permit (or exemption) obtained to allow the machine to be on a road.

You will need a high risk work licence. Plus the operator needs the relevant machinery Licence (competency card) PLUS the right class of “vehicle” licence.

You will also need a current driving licence (for the class of car is fine). 

Earthmoving Machines

Changes to Earthmoving Licences

As of 1st January 2012, all of the earthmoving occupations were de-regulated click here for more detail i.e. do not require a licence to operate. This equipment includes backhoes, front end loaders, excavators, rollers, skid steer loaders, dozers, graders and scrapers.

What does an employer or student have to do now to prove competency click here for more detail trainees that complete a course at All States Training will be issued with a “competency card” to demonstrate to an employer that a course of training has been done.

Q. Can I still operate an Excavator on my old Paper Licence?

Determining the competency of earthmoving operators will remain the obligation of the employer (person conducting a business or undertaking) and as such it will be up to each PCBU to decide if that particular licence / card paper certificate will be accepted to assist in evidencing competency. The PCBU will still have an obligation to ensure the worker has received training on the specific plant and particular job. Some employers may accept your old paper licence, others may not – you may have to bring your existing qualification through to currency. There are huge penalties for PCBU’s that do not provide adequate training and instruction to their workers.

Q. Does a backhoe cover me for a front end loader?

Under the previous Work Health and Safety Regulation 2008, the answer was no, they were classed as 2 separate machines and 2 separate competencies. If you held a backhoe licence you could legally operate the GP bucket and the hoe on that machine. However, If you were then asked to operate a front end loader – you would not be legally allowed to do so. Under the current Work Health and Safety Act 2011 and 2011 Work Health and Safety Regulations – it is down to the employer to ensure a worker has the adequate training and instruction on any machine they are being asked to operate. However, even under current legislation there are separate units of competency for these machines.

Q. How big does my earthmoving machine need to be for a practical assessment?

Can be any size. Under current Work Health and Safety Regulations, the size and the capacity of the machine are not relevant to assessment. Anyone operating any type of earthmoving machinery needs to be competent. This is not the same as in the previous 2008 Workplace Health and Safety Legislation where if a machine that was smaller than 2 litre the operator did not legally require a licence.

Q. What do I need to drive a Piece of earth moving equipment on the road?

When driving a tractor, backhoe, etc. on the road, the machine needs to be either road registered or a permit (or exemption) obtained to allow the machine to be on a road.

Plus an operator needs the relevant machinery Licence (or competency card).

You will also need a current driving licence to the specific size of the machine/s.

Operators should be aware that from 1 January 2016 all mobile cranes over 4.5t GVM will not be able to be driven on a class UD licence. If you wish to drive a mobile crane over 4.5t GVM after the two year transitional period you will be required to hold the appropriate class of heavy vehicle licence.

Q. Does the Skid Steer Assessment (formerly Licence) cover me for a Drott?


Q. Does the Skid Steer Assessment (formerly Licence) cover me for a Dozer?

 No, because a dozer doesn’t load, it just pushes. LZ is the licence category for Dozer.


Traffic Control

Q. Who provides traffic control training?

The approved traffic controller training course is only available through Registered Training Organisations that have approval from the Department of Transport and Main Roads to deliver the course.

Q. Do all people who control traffic need accreditation?

People who do not need to be accredited as traffic controllers include police officers, escort vehicle drivers, Department of Transport and Main Roads School crossing supervisors, State Emergency Service officers and people who direct or divert traffic within a car park.

It is important to recognise that every individual who controls traffic should have appropriate training and wear appropriate safety clothing regardless of whether they are required to be formally accredited or not.

Q. How long does the accreditation last?

Traffic controller accreditation (licence) is issued for three years. Before your accreditation (licence) expires, a renewal notice and application form will be posted to you. It is your responsibility to ensure that you maintain current accreditation when performing traffic controller duties, and that you keep your contact details up to date with the Department of Transport and Main Roads. You are required to do a ‘renewal’ course every 3 years to stay competent, this refresher course may be done through an RTO who is approved by main roads to deliver it.

Q. What if I am currently an interstate traffic controller?

You are only authorised to control traffic in Queensland if you are accredited in If you are currently an interstate traffic controller, you may be allowed to undertake a shorter training course (Renewal -rather than the complete training course) prior to lodging your application in Queensland. For more information, you should contact an RTO who offers the approved traffic controller training course. These RTO’s can also be found on the TMR website.

 Q. What if I change my details or lose my accreditation card?

If your accreditation (licence card is lost, stolen, or damaged, or if any of your details have changed, you may apply to have a replacement card issued. To apply for a replacement accreditation card, you must: complete a Replacement Industry Authority form (F4729) & lodge your application and fee at a Department of Transport and Main Roads customer service centre.

Q. How do I renew my accreditation?

To renew your traffic controller accreditation, you must:

  • Complete an approved traffic controller renewal training course – this can be done through an RTO approved by TMR to deliver the course.

Q. What are the TMR Requirements to become an accredited Traffic controller?

To become an accredited Traffic Controller in Queensland you are required to successfully complete an approved traffic controller training course delivered by a TMR approved training provider (RTO) and meet the following criteria:

  • Minimum 18 years of age;
  • Meet the Scheme’s traffic history requirements
  • Meet the Scheme’s criminal history requirements
  • Have held an open or provisional drivers licence (Australian or foreign) for a continuous period of 12 months within the past 5 years;
  • Complete a Traffic Controller Accreditation Scheme Application declaring your offence history, your medical fitness and your training qualifications.
  • It is also a pre-requisite for a Traffic Controller working on a construction site (e.g. a roadway) to hold a White Card / Blue Card (Construction Safety Induction Card).

 Q. How long will the course take?

  • Part 1: Theory
    An 8 hr instructor led session including: lectures; group discussion; practical exercises; and a written assessment.
  • Part 2: Practical
    One-on-one mentoring by an experienced traffic controller on a live job site. Participants need to complete a minimum of 20 hrs practical experience before being assessed. (Note: The RTO Will normally provide the practical placement for participants.) Practical (20hrs logbook) must be completed and signed off within 12months of completion of theory- client will have to start over if 1 year lapses.
  • Renewal course length- 4-6hrs

Q. What topics should I expect to be taught throughout the course?

  • Legislative framework and compliance requirements
  • Occupational Health and Safety
  • Planning and preparing to control traffic
  • Coordinating traffic
  • Two-way radio communications
  • Controlling traffic at night
  • Removing or covering signs when not controlling traffic.

 Q. How much does it cost for a traffic control licence?

  • Application for 3 year accreditation in the form of a new industry authority card $185.65.
  • Renewal for a 3 year accreditation in the form of a new industry authority card $185.65.
  • Replacement fee for a new industry authority card $73.10.
  • *This includes a CrimTrac fee of $49.50.

Q. How long do I have to take my SOA to TMR before it expires?

12 Months

Q. How long do I have to complete my 20hrs practical before my theory component cancels/ expires?

3 Months 

Q. My licence has expired, how long do I have to complete a renewal before it is no longer valid, resulting in re-doing the whole course from the beginning?

3 Months – confirmed by TMR

Q. If my driver’s licence is disqualified, cancelled or suspended will this affect my traffic control licence?

No, it will not affect the traffic control licence as they do not require a driver licence to be a traffic controller. However, Applicants who have a recent history of offences, for example, assault or drug related offences would be unlikely to be accredited as a traffic controller. The person must have held an open or provisional driver licence (Australian or foreign) for a continuous 12 month period within the last 5 years. If the person is already a traffic controller and is renewing their accreditation, this requirement is not relevant.

 Q. Is there a maximum timeframe that the student has to complete to complete the industry placement? Eg- 20hrs

Yes, In all cases the course must be completed within a 3 month timeframe. However it is generally expected that the placement will be arranged by the RTO to closely follow the course completion of the theory component.


White Cards 

Q. Is the white card only valid in QLD?

No. You will be able to work on construction sites all over Australia. 

Q. How long is the white card valid for?

There is no actual ‘expiry date’ as such, but you may need to update your white card every 5 years depending on if there has been any changes to the course, course code/name, requirements, etc. 

Q. How long will it take to complete this course? 

Although most finish within 2 – 4 hours. All States Training will allow for as much time as you need to complete this course, we are flexible and able to accommodate to your learning needs!

Q. Can I complete this course online?

Even though most RTO’s will offer this course online, our team at All States Training has agreed that it is best for our trainers to run this course face-to-face. We find that our students always achieve the best possible outcome when we mix face-to-face training, videos, theory and practical activities together. 


First Aid

Q. Will CPR be included into this course? 

Yes, CPR will be included into this training. The CPR component is usually at the start of the course so we are able to mix CPR refreshers in with First Aid training. Even though you complete CPR training while studying First Aid, the expiry dates are different. (Refer to Expiry Dates)

Q. How long after the expiry date do I have to refresh this course?

All States Training will allow up to 12 months after the expiry date to complete refresher training. Our lovely office staff will assist you is you are unsure whether you will need to book into the full course or refresher course. Upon the booking our receptionist will ask questions, such as:

  • “Do you still work in the industry?”
  • “How often do you practice First Aid?”
  • “How long have you been practicing First Aid?”

Once these questions and/or more have been answered our staff will then make judgment on what training you will need and we will be able to proceed to the next step. 


Expiry Dates 


  • EWP <11MTS




  • EAC


  • CPR

*Please note that full qualifications (Certificate II, III, IV, etc.) do not have an expiry date, it is recommended that you update your knowledge and skills when  found appropriate.