RIIVEH305E - Operate and maintain a four wheel drive vehicle
This Operate and Maintain a 4WD Vehicle course is a 1 day course that meets the requirements, upon successful completion, to receive a Statement of Attainment, for the Nationally Recognised Training course "RIIVEH305E Operate and Maintain a 4WD Vehicle".
The Operate and Maintain a 4WD Vehicle is a practical driving course that is designed to familiarise drivers with the correct use of appropriate range (high or low range), gears and techniques to operate to 4WD vehicle through and over different and difficult terrain. it includes the mechanical understanding and the capabilities and limitations of a 4WD vehicle, without harm to personnel, damage to vehicle and equipment and minimum environmental damage.
All States Training is able to come to you for these courses.
We are flexible and mobile to meet your training needs.
This unit covers the operation and maintenance of four-wheel drive vehicles in the resources and infrastructure industries. It includes identifying four-wheel drive specific terms, terminology and techniques, planning for minimal environmental impact, performing pre-departure checks, using the features of a four-wheel drive vehicle to drive in a variety of terrain types, and performing maintenance and minor repairs on four-wheel drive vehicles.
Licensing, legislative, regulatory and certification requirements that apply to this unit can vary between states, territories, and industry sectors.
What will I learn?
Students will attain the practical application and understanding required to operate and maintain a 4WD vehicle on and off road and will be able to:
- Identify 4WD and defensive driving specific terms, terminology and techniques
- Identify and demonstrate the use of front wheel hubs
- Plan for minimal environmental impact
- Perform pre-departure checks
- Engage 4WD mode
- Use appropriate range, gear, speed, driving and braking technique, negotiate a range of terrain types whilst maintaining control of the vehicle, on and off road
- Perform recovery of a 4WD vehicle
- Identify, address and report potential hazards and risks
- Conduct inspection and perform maintenance
- Perform wheel change
What are the pre-requisites?
- Have a good understanding of the English language
- Arrive 15 minutes early to your training session
Face-to-Face delivery only.
Some of the elements covered in this course are:
Identify four-wheel drive specific terms, terminology and techniques;
- Access, interpret and apply four wheel drive vehicle documentation and ensure the work activity is compliant
- Identify and demonstrate the purpose and use of front wheel hubs
Plan for minimal environmental impact;
- Determine types of impact likely to occur during four-wheel driving activities
- Plan and conduct activities in a manner which minimizes environmental impact
Perform pre-departure checks;
- Take action to correct any deficiency
- Interpret weather conditions, determine suitability for driving
Use four-wheel drive mode;
- Operate 4WD both on and off road, in accordance with road rules, principles of 4WD and WHS regulations
- Apply smooth accelerator control strategies over a range of terrain types
Coordinate and recover a vehicle;
- Apply work procedures to ensure risk assessment, safe operating practices, and communication requirements are adhered to
- Return recovery equipment to a reusable condition
Perform maintenance and minor repairs on four-wheel drive vehicles;
- Select/access maintenance equipment, including spares and fluids, prior to departure, considering contextual issues of the trip
- Demonstrate safe use of jack to change a wheel on a four-wheel drive vehicle
All students who are competent in RIIVEH305E Operate and Maintain Four Wheel Drive Vehicles will receive a nationally recognised Statement of Attainment.
What will I need to bring?
- USI (Unique Student Identifier)
- 4WD Vehicle (one vehicle can be used for 2 participants)
- Your vehicle will need at least half a tank of fuel
- Driving license (that will be required for checking prior to course commencement)
- Appropriate clothing - this should be compliant with your companies policy however at a minimum must comprise of long sleeved shirt, long pants, closed shoes with good soles and hat.
- Sunscreen and insect repellent
- Pad and pen
This unit forms part of the Full Qualification
- RII20215 Certificate II Surface Extraction Operations
- RII30115 Certificate III Surface Extraction Operations